Alvey Hall

Front of Alvey Hall

Namesake
Alvey Hall is named for Dr. Edward Alvey, Jr, a writer, historian, and Dean of a Mary Washington College.[1. William B. Crawley, Jr., University of Mary Washington: A Centennial History,1908-2008 (Fredericksburg, VA: University of Mary Washington Foundation, 2008), 375.]  Dr. Alvey began his educational career at  the University of Virginia where he earned his Bachelor’s degree. [2. “Dr. Edward Alvery, Jr.: The Dean Who Lived and Chronicled a Century,” Central Rappahannock Regional Library, http://history.librarypoint.org/ed_alvey (accessed March 8, 2012).] He began his career at Mary Washington College in 1934. [3. “Dr. Edward Alvery, Jr.: The Dean Who Lived and Chronicled a Century,” Central Rappahannock Regional Library, http://history.librarypoint.org/ed_alvey (accessed March 8, 2012).] He became dean in 1936, when the college reinstated the position in recognition of the fact that Dr. Alvey assumed most of the position’s tasks.[4. Edward Alvey, Jr., History of Mary Washington College 1908-1972 (Charlottesville: University Press of Virginia, 1974), 199.] Dr. Alvey played a vital role in Fredericksburg through good deeds and historical writing, including scholarly books and a considerable number of articles for the Fredericksburg Times. After he retired in 1971, he wrote: History of Mary Washington College (1976); History of the Presbyterian Church of Fredericksburg, Virginia (1976); The Streets of Fredericksburg (1978); The Fredericksburg Fire of 1807 (1981); History of the Literary Club of Fredericksburg, 1892-1982 (1984); The Fredericksburg Savings & Loan Association, A Record of Progress, 1922-1986 (1986); and 90 Years of Caring: Mary Washington Hospital (1989).[5. “Dr. Edward Alvery, Jr.: The Dean Who Lived and Chronicled a Century,” Central Rappahannock Regional Library, http://history.librarypoint.org/ed_alvey (accessed March 8, 2012).]

Dean Edward Alvey Seated, 1930

Upon his retirement from Mary Washington College, the Alumni Association presented Dr. Alvey with a plaque; “to a gentleman, scholar, educator and friend … integrity, courage, patience, kindness, strength of character and geniality.”[6. “Dr. Edward Alvery, Jr.: The Dean Who Lived and Chronicled a Century,” Central Rappahannock Regional Library, http://history.librarypoint.org/ed_alvey (accessed March 8, 2012).] Dr. Alvey passed away on July 11, 1999.[7.  “Dr. Edward Alvery, Jr.: The Dean Who Lived and Chronicled a Century,” Central Rappahannock Regional Library, http://history.librarypoint.org/ed_alvey (accessed March 8, 2012).]

Building History
The completion of construction of Alvey Hall in 1990 marked the next round of building for residence halls under university President William Anderson.[8. Crawley, 375.] However, it was originally called North Hall, as it was the northern most residence hall on campus. When Alvey Hall first opened it housed 148 students.[9. Ibid.] Alvey Hall is currently a co-ed residence hall that houses 145 students. [10. “Alvey Hall,” University of Mary Washington Residence Life, http://students.umw.edu/residencelife/housing-and-operations/first-year-residence-halls/alvey-hall/ (accessed February 21, 2012).]

    Alvey Hall, March 2012

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *