Arrington Hall

Arrington Hall

Namesake

Arrington Hall is named for Arabelle Arrington to honor her contributions to the University of Mary Washington and lifelong support of the school’s national reputation.[1. William B. Crawley, Jr., University of Mary Washington: A Centennial History,1908-2008 (Fredericksburg, VA: University of Mary Washington Foundation, 2008), 375.] Mrs. Arrington was born in Warrenton, Virginia in 1921.[2. “Arabelle Arrington,” Fredericksburg.com, http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2010/112010/11052010/586295 (accessed March 8, 2012).] She graduated from Mary Washington in 1941, but always held the college close to her heart.[3. Crawley, 375.] She spent a majority of her time promoting the college and was a member of the Board of Visitors from 1975-1983.[4. “Arabelle Arrington,” Fredericksburg.com, http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2010/112010/11052010/586295 (accessed March 8, 2012).] In addition, she was a member of the UMW Foundation Board of Directors, the Alumni Association’s Board of Directors, and the Heritage Society.[5. “Arabelle Arrington,” Fredericksburg.com, http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2010/112010/11052010/586295 (accessed March 8, 2012).] Mrs. Arrington was an active member in Warrenton and a lifelong member of the Warrenton Baptist Church.[6. “Arabelle Arrington,” Fredericksburg.com, http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2010/112010/11052010/586295 (accessed March 8, 2012).] The philanthropy of Arabelle Arrington was supported by business endeavors with her husband. Her and her husband owned and operated Arrington Motor Sales , a Chrysler-Plymouth-Dodge dealership in Warrenton as well as their farm: Alwington Farm.[7.  “Arabelle Arrington,” Fredericksburg.com, http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2010/112010/11052010/586295 (accessed March 8, 2012).] She passed away in 2010, preceded by her husband of 57 years of marriage.[8. “Arabelle Arrington,” Fredericksburg.com, http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2010/112010/11052010/586295 (accessed March 8, 2012).]

Arabelle Arrington

Building History
Arrington Hall finished construction in 1994 and replaced Alvey Hall as the northern most residence hall on campus.[9. Crawley, 375.] Initially dubbed New Dorm, it was officially named after Arabelle Arrington in 2005.[10. Ibid.] Arrington Hall is aco-ed mixed residence halls and currently houses 147 students. [11. “Arrington Hall.” University of Mary Washington Residence Life. http://students.umw.edu/residencelife/housing-and-operations/first-year-residence-halls/arrington-hall/ (accessed April 30, 2012).] Arrington Hall demarcates the end of residence hall building for the university in it’s first century of existence.[12. Ibid.]

Arrington Hall, March 2012

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *