Fairfax House

Students on Fairfax House Steps, 1952

Namesake

The namesake of Fairfax House was Anne Fairfax of Fredericksburg, Virginia. Born in 1728, Anne Fairfax was the eldest daughter of Colonel William Fairfax and the wife of Lawrence Washington the older half-brother of George Washington.  Anne Fairfax and Lawrence Washington were married in July of 1743 and resided in Virginia until Anne’s death in 1761. She never saw her famous brother-in-law reach the heights that history would remember him for. [1. Thompson, Mary V. In the Hands of A Good Providence: Religion in the Life of George Washington (University of Virginia Press: 2008), 55.]

Building History

Fairfax House was originally a private residence for President Chandler and his wife, even when he was the College President. [2. Edward Alvey Jr., History of Mary Washington College 1908-1972 (United States of America: The University Press of Virginia, 1974), 11.] Shortly after President Chandler’s death, his widow sold the house to the College in 1930. [3. William B. Crawley, Jr., University of Mary Washington: A Centennial History, 1908-2008 (Fredericksburg, VA: University of Mary Washington Foundation, 2008), 33.] Over the years, the two-story building has been used as a residence hall, a center for the Alumni Association, an infirmary, and as housing  for the Dean of Students. Today, Fairfax House serves as the Human Resources Office for the University of Mary Washington. [4. “Human Resources: Administration and Finance.” Human Resources. http://adminfinance.umw.edu/hr/ (accessed April 26, 2012).]

 

Fairfax House, March 2012

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *