Framar House

Exterior of Framar House

Namesake

Little is known about Dr. Frank H. Reichel or his wife, beyond their residence and his employment with the American Viscose Corporation.[1. “Rayon Suits and Carpets,” The Rayon Gang, http://www.crewdson.com/rayon.htm (accessed February 24, 2012).] Dr. Reichel was chairman of the board and president of the corporation, before he resigned and the couple moved to Fredericksburg, Virginia. They resided in the building known as Framar House until the college purchased it in 1946.[2. William B. Crawley, Jr., University of Mary Washington: A Centennial History,1908-2008 (Fredericksburg, VA: University of Mary Washington Foundation, 2008), 56.]

Building History

Framar was named for Dr. Frank H. Reichel and his wife.[3.  Edward Alvey, Jr., History of Mary Washington College 1908-1972 (Charlottesville: University Press of Virginia, 1974), 294.]  “Framar” is a combination of the two owners’ names. The “Fra” was taken from Frank and the “mar” was from Marion, his wife.[4. Ibid.] When the college first acquired Framar House, it was used as the President’s home until Brompton House was ready for use in 1948.[5. Crawley, 56.] Its purchase made the college a complete geographical unit, extending the college’s property from U.S. Route 1 to William Street and from College Avenue to Sunken Road.[6. Alvey, 294.] As the college grew, Framar House had to be moved downhill to create room for the construction of Randolph and Mason Halls.[7. Alvey, 77.] During its early years as a residence hall, Framar  housed advanced students majoring in Spanish. As a result, Framar House came to be known the Spanish House.[8. Crawley, 56.] Although Framar house is no longer set aside solely for students of Spanish, Framar currently houses up to 21 students, both men and women and is also home to the International Living Center (ILC).[9. “Framar House.” University of May Washington Residence Life. http://students.umw.edu/residencelife/housing-and-operations/first-year-residence-halls/framar-house/ (accessed April 26, 2012).]

Framar House, March 2012

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *