Marshall Hall

The back of Marshall Hall, 1962

Namesake

Marshall Hall is named in honor of Mary Willis Ambler Marshall, the wife of Chief Justice John Marshall.[1. Edward Alvey, Jr., History of Mary Washington College 1908-1972 (Charlottesville: University Press of Virginia, 1974), 421.]  Not much is known about Mrs. Marshall, except that she married John Marshall on January 3, 1783 and stood by his side in his years as the first Chief Justice of the United States.[2. Ibid.]

Building History

Mary Washington College finished constructing Marshall Hall at the corner of Sunken Road and William Street in the early 1960s as a female-only residence hall. When Marshall Hall first opened, it house 144 students.[3. William B. Crawley, Jr., University of Mary Washington: A Centennial History,1908-2008 (Fredericksburg, VA: University of Mary Washington Foundation, 2008), 82.] Currently, Marshall Hall houses 147  students as a co-ed upperclassmen residence hall.[4. “Marshall Hall.” University of Mary Washington Residence Life. http://students.umw.edu/residencelife/housing-and-operations/first-year-residence-halls/marshall-hall/ (accessed April 30, 2012).] Marshall Hall and Jefferson Hall were the first two halls to have proposals submitted for 24 hour, 7 days a week visitation.[5. Crawley, 320.]

Marshall Hall, March 2012

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *