History of Name
Seacobeck Hall was named after an Indian Village that once lived in the Fredericksburg area. Seacobeck is an Algonquin word that means “at the foot of the rock” [1. Edward Alvey Jr., History of Mary Washington College 1908-1972 (United States of America: The University Press of Virginia, 1974), 170.] It is suggested that the rock that the name refers to is the rock formations that prevented Captain John Smith from traveling further up the Rappahannock River in 1608. [2. Ibid.]
Seacobeck was built in 1930 and featured a Dome Rome and two dining rooms on each side. Two rooms were added later to accommodate more students. [3. William B. Crawley, Jr., University of Mary Washington: A Centennial History, 1908-2008 (Fredericksburg, VA: University of Mary Washington Foundation, 2008), 31, 539.] Today Seacobeck Hall, more commonly called Seaco by students, has three rooms for students, The Washington Diner, the UMW Bistro and Southmarket as well as having a fourth room for Faculty and Staff. [4. “Umw Dining,” UMW Dining, http://umwdining.com/ (accessed April 1, 2012).] Seacobeck also has offices underneath it that house the Office of Student Activities and Engagements.