Tyler House was originally the home of J. H Chiles, the superintendent for Spotsylvania County Public Schools and built in 1910.[1. Professor Michael Spencer of University of Mary Washington, Historic Preservation Department, email message to Kayle Partenheimer, April 17, 2012.] It was moved from its original location to be closer to Fairfax House after it was purchased by the University. It was named Anne Fairfax Annex and became the home of the college physician. However, when the infirmary was moved to Mercer Hall, the annex was used for residential space. It housed the Student Government President, Honor Council President and their roommates as well as providing office space for them to work.[2. Edward Alvey Jr., History of Mary Washington College 1908-1972 (United States of America: The University Press of Virginia, 1974), 172.]
During the 1990’s many of the residence halls were used as language houses, which was a practice where the language was spoken exclusively within the residence hall. Tyler House was used as the German house.[3. William B. Crawley, Jr., University of Mary Washington: A Centennial History, 1908-2008 (Fredericksburg, VA: University of Mary Washington Foundation, 2008), 622.]
It is unclear when Tyler House was renamed from Anne Fairfax Annex or the origin of the name.