Mason Hall

Aerial View of Mason (left) and Randolph (right) halls, 1989


Mason Hall is named for another mother of an influential early American, George Mason.[1. Edward Alvey, Jr., Historyof Mary Washington College 1908-1972 (Charlottesville: University Press of Virginia, 1974), 350.] Ann Stevens Thomson was the mother of George Mason, the author of the Virginia Bill of Rights. She was married to George Mason III and the couple had three children including the statesman, George Mason IV while the family resided in Fairfax, Virginia. Ann came from a distinguished family that had it roots in the Virginia Colony for many years.[2. Ibid] Her grandfather was a lawyer, her uncle was a member of Parliament, and her father was an attorney general of Virginia. [3. Ibid.] Ann is noted for her chastity after her husband drowned in the Potomac River in a sailboat accident, becoming an icon of early American motherhood.[4. Ibid.] Skillful management of the funds and lands left to her by her husband enabled her to provide for all her children despite her husband’s absence, until  Ann passed away in 1762.[5. Ibid.] In addition to her strengths as a mother, she was also noted for being beautiful, intelligent, and amiable.[6. Ibid.] Her epitaph reads, “A good woman, a great woman, a lovely woman.”[7. Ibid, 351.]

Building History

Mason Hall finished construction in 1957 as a residence hall as the mirror image of Randolph Hall, which is adjacent to Mason. Currently, Mason Hall is undergoing extensive renovation. When it reopens in the fall of 2012, it will house 185 co-ed residents.[7. “Mason Hall.” University of Mary Washington Residence Life. (accessed April 26, 2012).] Residents will also be able to access Randolph hall through “The Link” which is a hall that connects both residence halls and features sunrooms above it.[8. “Mason Hall.” University of Mary Washington Residence Life. (accessed April 26, 2012).]

Mason Hall, March 2012

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *