Russell Hall

View of Russell Hall from the Marshall Hill


Russell Hall is named for Edward H. Russell, the first president of The State Normal and Industrial School for Women, as Mary Washington College was orignally known.[1. William B. Crawley, Jr., University of Mary Washington: A Centennial History,1908-2008 (Fredericksburg, VA: University of Mary Washington Foundation, 2008), 82.] Edward Huston Russell was selected by a board of trustees to head the new school on May 19, 1908.[2. Edward Alvey, Jr., History of Mary Washington College 1908-1972 (Charlottesville: University Press of Virginia, 1974), 16.] He was born in 1869 and graduated from the Virginia Military Institute.[3. Ibid.] Over the course of thirty years he was a principal, superintendent, and school examiner as well as president of the school. In regards to his character, historians note that he was tall, powerful, and had a voice that could be heard throughout a building.[4. Ibid. Crawley also notes this on page 4 of University of Mary Washington: A Centennial History,1908-2008.] Mr. Russell retired from the position of president in May of 1919 as a result of minor conflicts at the college and an ailing health condition.[5. Crawley, 18.] He passed away in 1956.[6. Crawley, 19.]

Building History

Russell Hall finished construction in 1965.[7. Crawley, 82.] Russell Hall, the dorm should not be confused with Russell Hall, the adminstrative building. Russell Hall, the administrative building housed a small swimming pool as well as a laboratory and a locker room for the gymnasium and is now known as Monroe Hall.[8. Alvey, 40.] When Russell Hall first opened it housed 179 students.[9. Crawley, 82.] Today, Russell Hall functions as a residence hall. It houses 173 co-ed first year residents.[10. “Russell Hall,” University of Mary Washington Residence Life, (accessed March 5, 2012).]

Russell Hall, March 2012

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *