The Woodard Campus Center was named for Prince Briggs Woodard. Prince Woodard was born in 1921 and grew up in Courtland, Virginia. [1. William B. Crawley, Jr., University of Mary Washington: A Centennial History, 1908-2008 (Fredericksburg, VA: University of Mary Washington Foundation, 2008), 176-180.] Woodard attended the Virginia Military Institute and received his doctoral degree in educational administration from the University of Virginia. After he graduated from VMI, Woodard served as a first lieutenant in the United States Army from 1943-1946. [2. Crawley, 176.] Woodard was also the director of the State Council of Higher Education in Virginia for six years and he played a central role in establishing the Virginia Commonwealth University. [3. Crawley, 177.] Woodard served as president of Mary Washington College from 1974 to 1982. At the time when Woodard was president, Mary Washington College had just become co-educational and he was central in helping to create the first co-educational residence hall, as well as intercollegiate teams for men. Woodard also helped to create the Center for Historic Preservation in 1980 as well as starting the Mary Washington College Foundation Inc., which is now known as University of Mary Washington Foundation. [4. Crawley, 370-371.] Prince Briggs Woodard died in 1982, while on leave from the College, after having open heart surgery. [5. “Prince B. Woodard,” Presidential Inauguration of Richard V. Hurley, http://inauguration.umw.edu/presidents/prince-b-woodard-1974-1982/ (accessed March 22, 2012).]
The Woodard Campus Center was finished in 1987. The location for the campus center was chosen to connect one end of campus to the other because the gym was located on the northern end of campus far from the other buildings on campus. [6. Crawley, 370-371.] Today, the Woodard Campus Center is one of the most popular places on campus. [7. “Prince B. Woodard,” Presidential Inauguration of Richard V. Hurley, http://inauguration.umw.edu/presidents/prince-b-woodard-1974-1982/ (accessed March 22, 2012).] The Woodard Campus Center currently contains the Great Hall, the Eagles Nest, which features different food choices for students and visitors to campus.